The convent of Saint Francis of Assisi, of minor retiring brothers, was started in 1609 and it was inaugurated in 1612. The building is in the baroque style with Gothic and Renaissance elements. The convent was the subject, throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, of a series of transformations, collapses and new constructions arising from the new functions (charity, schools, etc.). After a clearance period, since 1989, the preserved part of the old convent was restored by the City of Terrassa (Fundació Hospital de Saint Llàtzer). It was carried out an archaeological intervention that discovered the phases of construction of the building.
From the former convent it is preserved the church, with a cloister of square floor which consists of a ground floor and two floors, and some spaces of its surroundings.
Currently, the former convent of Sant Francesc is part of a large social, health and education complex, governed by the Hospital of Saint Llàtzer Foundation. Since October 2003, the cloister of the convent of Sant Francesc is a section of the Museum of Terrassa, which manages its visit.
Also you may be interested in…
Seu d’Ègara – Museu de Terrassa
An exceptional set in the Catalan historic and artistic heritage.